Friday, October 21, 2011

My Top 5.. so far.

Some people have asked what my favorite movies are. I have several for different reasons but these are the ones that I find myself watching again and again. In no particular order they are...

Seven Samurai
This is the story of a poor village that is being terrorized by bandits. They plan to get some samurai to come and defend them. They hire a wise Samurai who recruits more to the cause. Together they go and give their blades and their lives to defend this small village of farmers. It’s a story of friendship and camaraderie, Courage and loss, redemption and enlightenment.

I have always loved this movie. Its three hours long and an epic one to watch but I can easily curl up on the couch and watch it over and over again. I love this movie for its humor and its ability to take me though several emotions during the story. Two movies have been modeled on this film, one is The Magnificent Seven and the other is and A Bugs Life.


Casablanca
This movie takes place in unoccupied Africa during the early days of World War II, an expatriate runs a saloon and an old acquaintance comes back into his life and with her some complications. This movie has politics, humor, sacrifice, adventure and friendship. Through the adversity the characters are reinvigorated with life and find themselves with new perspectives.

I saw this movie in the theaters on its anniversary, it was such a wonderful experience that I had to watch it again, and again. I think during that weekend I took four other people to that movie. I really love the growth of the characters and the humor involved. It pains me to say this but it too has been redone in a movie called Barbed Wire. I am glad that Casablanca has not been tarnished because of the other fiasco of a film. This is proof positive that just because something worked before does not mean you should do it again.


Blade Runner
This is a futuristic Noir film. A detective hired to find rogue androids and terminate them. The androids break away from their work in a bloody escape to find out how long they have to live. All androids were programed with an end date. They want to live and find a way to extend their life. The detective known as a Blade Runner has to track them down before they harm the population.

This is one of the movies that turned me into a Sci fi junky. I love the setting and the messages and the performances in this film. Over the years there have been a number of different versions or re cuts of this film, one of my favorites is the director’s cut that takes out the voice over by Harrison Ford. To my understanding the studio said the test audiences did not know what was going on so they had the voice over created to explain the story. I think the movie is better without it.

The Jack Bull
A horse trader who has been wrongs takes matters in his own hands and seeks vigilante justice on a rancher who has been causing problems. This story surrounds what happens when the law fails to protect the people it was created for. In the end Justice is served but the journey is a costly one and the common good is upheld at a great price. This movie was adapted for the screen by Dick Cusack, John Cusack’s father. This is one of my favorites because of the performance from John Goodman.

“Well, I worry about you and me, Judge Wilkins. I swear to God I do, 'cause if this country gets ruined... it'll be ruined by people *like* you and me. This is a territory of unimportant people; most folks around here... [laughs softly] can't even write their name. You and me... we're the important people. Trouble is, there's not enough of us important people to go around - we're spread thin, so sometimes, important things get ignored or don't get said. Like... take care of the little feller; see to it that he don't get ignored or cheated or insulted; make sure that his dignity does not get trampled on. Now you're feelin' bad right now, and by God, you ought to... seein' as what just happened to a decent man. Myrl Redding did *not* fail the law...the law failed Myrl.”

I know its a TV movie but it was so well done it would have been a plesure to watch it on the big screen.

The Way
A father who is going overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the “El Camino de Santiago” from France to Spain, decides to travel in his son place, and learns much about himself and his traveling companions along the pilgrimage.

This is a new one to my list as I have just seen it this past weekend. I enjoyed many aspects of this film. Please read my review of this film in detail here The Way

No comments:

Post a Comment