Friday, September 2, 2011

Too Much of A Good Thing.

I am a movie geek; I love the art of movie making. I am also a nerd so when it comes to science fiction films I am usually happier than a womp rat in beggar’s canyon. I am usually one of the first in line to partake in anything science fiction. I love Star Wars and have been a fan for a long time. I remember going to the theater to see a trailer for Star Wars and was completely hooked from that point on to any and all things sci fi. I am here today to say that I am and always be a Star Wars fan. And I have to be honest I will always love that universe.

I just learned about the changes to the content with the Blu-Ray release coming out. George Lucas is the creator of that universe and he has complete control over his property. I respect that and encourage that. He obviously wanted to have a specific look and feel to his universe and he has every right to try and capture that. But I am the consumer; I am the one that decides what I do with my money. I can and will choose not to buy the Blu-Ray release of the first six films.

I am in love with the enchantments to the scenes adding more life to some of the city shots; bring the bland sets of cloud city to life with windows in long boring hallways. These changes are great, but I have an issue when you change content. Paramount has done the same thing with the re-mastering of the original Star Trek series. They made the product that was there better by leaving the content alone but updating the effects of the shots that they had. Mr. Lucas should take a lesson from them. I think the example of this is when Han shot second. That completely changes the aspects of the movie. We completely lose Han Solo’s journey from rogue to hero, this completely takes away the contrasting elements. It’s such a small thing that changed so much.

It kind of reminds me of the art teacher. Her students all had really superior work. When asked how she taught the students to do art so well she said I just know when to take away the picture, because they will continue to add to it until it’s over done.

I am including a clip from the new movies one that has the most controversy around it. What do you think?


In my opinion the original was much better because we could see the emotion coming from a guy in a mask. We don’t need to hear the dialog to know what is going on here.

 I say thank you, but no thank you Mr. Lucas. I will not be joining you on this adventure. To you I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1 comment:

  1. Lucas, dude. Seriously?

    You know, sometimes, you just have to let your babies go.

    You want to sweeten up the sound, improve the effects, that's one thing, but leave the story elements alone.

    ReplyDelete